What is Financial abuse?

“Financial abuse can take a variety of forms, for example, financial control, exploitation or sabotage. It can also happen in a range of different relationships, whether by intimate partners, family members or carers. It could happen to you or to someone you know.”

Source – UK Finance ‘It’s Your Money’ published 2018

See the full ‘It’s your money’ guide:

Cards, PINs and passwords

If you’re concerned that your card details or PIN has been disclosed, we can send you a new card and you can also change your PIN at an ATM. You may also want to change your logon details for your Digital and Telephone Banking to make sure that your accounts are more secure.

Mail we send you

We understand that your circumstances might make it difficult to have mail received at your home address. If this is the case, you can opt for online statements through Online Banking. Alternatively, you can change your address so that your mail goes to a trusted friend or family’s home instead. You’ll need to be registered for Online Banking to do this on our site, or if you’re set up for Telephone Banking, our advisors can help you.

Third Party access

You can set up a Third Party to look after your accounts for you if you’re struggling to manage them yourself. There’s more information about what a Third Party Account Holder can do on our page here.

Joint accounts

If you have a joint account set up and you’re no longer together, you can ask us to set the account to require both parties to sign for any transactions going out of the account. This means we can still make sure your regular commitments are met, but nothing else can debit. Alternatively, we can suspend the account to make sure that no transactions are made.

Opening a new account

When you’re ready to think about your financial independence again, we can open a new account for you. Find out about ways to open an account here.

Credit Cards

If you have an HSBC Credit Card, you should check if you’re the Primary or Secondary cardholder. The Primary cardholder is responsible for the repayment of all money spent on both cards if you have nominated a Secondary cardholder. We’d recommend that you remove the Secondary card as soon as possible if you’re in any dispute to make sure nothing else can be spent on the card. 


Any lending that you have will need to be repaid. If you’re having difficulties, please contact us on 0345 850 0622 to talk about what we can do to help.  


If you’ve been a victim of fraud, or you think that someone has taken out credit in your name, please let us know as soon as possible. You can talk to us over the phone on 03457 404 404 or by visiting one of our branches. 

Credit file

You can get a copy of your credit report from one of our branches, or via some websites online. You might want to think about getting a notice of dissociation from the main Credit Reference Agencies (Experian, Callcredit and Equifax) to try to separate you from any joint financial arrangements. You can also register with www.cifas.org.uk who will be able to alert you if any credit applications are made in your name.

Further help

Living With Abuse


0808 802 0028 Monday to Saturday 8am to 8pm


National Domestic Abuse Helpline

Operated by Women’s Aid www.womensaid.org.uk and Refuge www.refuge.org.uk

0808 2000 247 24 Hour Helpline


The Men’s Advice Line


0808 801 0327 Monday to Friday 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm


ManKind Initiative


01823 334244 Monday to Friday 10am to 40pm and 7pm to 9pm (except Friday evenings)


Live Fear Free Helpline

Support for men, women and children in Wales with Welsh language provision.


0808 8010 800


Elder Abuse

www.elderabuse.org.uk Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

080 8808 8141